Wednesday, May 1, 2013

A Meat Eater Becomes A Vegan Overnight

I think it's important to share why the topic of meat production sparks an interest for me. This topic is very miscommunicated in the U.S and I was once a victim to thinking that eating hamburgers from Burger King every week didn't affect the environment. I was uneducated and misguided when it came to the food I was eating and the affects it had on the planet.

When I first moved to Boulder in August 2012, my mom got me what she thought was an organic cook book as a gift. In reality, this book, Thrive Foods by Brendan Brazier, was going to change my diet and my life overnight.

Not only did Thrive Foods make me cut out meat and any animal products entirely from my diet, it also taught me a great deal about the environmental affects that eating meat has on our planet.

My mother was born in Italy and I grew up with meat balls on my dinner plate every night. Not once was I told that meat was a bad thing. Steak was my favorite food in the world and having a hamburger every week never crossed my mind as having any negative affect on myself or the environment. Although I was always a meat eater, my love for nature was always very strong and I always cared a lot about the environment and always tried to do my part in saving it. I don't drive a car, I recycle, I try to eat all organic and use all organic products. So, when I found out that my diet was affecting the environment in such a negative way, I actually cut it out completely overnight.

My life has changed for the better ever since. I feel like i'm doing something good for my body and the environment. I don't miss eating meat at all because I know that i'm doing my part for making the planet a better place. I feel stronger and more awake and it's good to know that I now have the knowledge on the negative affects of meat production and consumption in this country.

I feel like if everyone read this book they would have a completely changed perception of themselves, their diet, and how what we eat directly affects the environment. I recommend Thrive Foods to anyone trying to explore this topic and learn a little more about the food we eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment